Alaska is a dream destination in our own backyard that many Americans may never get to experience themselves. With stunning views in every direction and countless opportunities for outdoor adventure, you will never regret saying yes and booking your next dream vacation to the last frontier! Here are the top five unforgettable things you cannot miss in Alaska.
- Climb Matanuska Glacier-Head a couple of hours inland from Seward to see a whole different world from the coastline. Strap up in your crampons and set off on a hike with your sights set on the grand Matanuska glacier that is a stunning 27 miles long, four miles wide, and two miles deep! Once you reach the glacier you will have the opportunity to do some real ice climbing with ice picks and a professional guide there to instruct you along the way.
- White Water Raft Sixmile Creek– If you are looking for an adventure that will get your heart pounding, you can not miss white water rafting Sixmile creek! Passing through three narrow canyons, hold on tight as our experienced and professional guides safely navigate you and your friends through class 3 and 4 rapids.
- Sea Kayak in Seward– Head to the coastal town of Seward for a picturesque sea kayaking adventure in Resurrection bay. Watch out for bald eagles, otters, and even bears, as you paddle along the shore taking in the dramatic cliffs and waterfalls. Some of the best guides in the world work in Alaska so be sure to listen up as they teach you about the surrounding wildlife and environment.
- Have An Iditarod Experience– Take a tour of a real sled dog training facility! The Iditarod is an epic 1,000-mile dog sled race through some of the harshest terrains in the world. Stop at a training facility in Girdwood to experience riding on the sled of a real Iditarod team. When you are not flying around corners and feeling the power of a 16 dog sled team, take some time to hang out with the newborn puppies and take some awesome pictures.
- Hike to the Harding Icefield– Starting in Kenai Fjords National park, the hike to the Harding Icefield is one experience you will not want to miss! Surrounded by dramatic peaks, you begin this stunning hike at the forest floor and ascend until you reach the otherworldly landscape of the ice field. Let it take you back to the times of the ice age while you scamper to the peak and soak in the view.
So book that trip you have been thinking about and cross off these five unforgettable experiences from your Alaskan bucket list. Be sure to check out Travel For Teens’ Alaska Service and Adventure and Alaska Service and Adventure For Older Teens programs to experience all this and more!
If you are interested in other destinations be sure to read our blog about the top 10 reasons to visit Hawaii and get prepared for the adventure ahead with our guide on traveling alone with a teen travel program for the first time.